This is the most crazy but most fun filled time of the year and probably the only part of the winter that I enjoy. This year more than most though I have realized how hectic the season has become and how much more relaxing/ less stressful it would be to do less. I was shocked by the number of trips we had to make into the attic to retrieve all the decorations and am finding a conflict in our schedule more days than not. We have already decided that each child will get only three gifts under the tree this year including one from Santa and one being a joint family gift. We picked names out of a hat for the kids and they will each give each other a special gift of something nice they will do for that person but they are still working on the ideas. We are donating the gifts that they received from DJ's work holiday party. Of course they wanted to open them right then and there but have not asked about then since we decided to give them away. The real eye opener for me was at the party last weekend one of the little cousins said to his mom that our playroom was better than the Target store. This was a real indication to me that they have way too much stuff and most of it goes unplayed with, only to be a constant source of material to be cleaned up. It is not that we buy them things often and almost never on a whim but just that having 4 kids and a large generous extended family makes the toys add up over the years. So one of my missions for this new year is to simplify things for all of us in both activities and in possessions that require our attention and care. For me this means continuing to purge closets, drawers and files and for the kids it will mean selecting favorite toys and both donating and tossing the remainder. I am also trying not to bring anything into the house that is not a consumable unless it is absolutely necessary. The kids are not totally on board yet but we will take baby steps. DJ grabbed a few library books about simplifying life with kids and there are tons of great ideas that I am going to start implementing. The other thing that we are working on curbing is TV time for DJ and the kids and computer time for mommy. (including recreational blogging) :-) My hope is that in making these steps we will be able to relax and enjoy our time together more and concentrate on some new outside interests. One new fun thing that I am looking forward to learning this winter is ice fishing. I found myself an all season fishing mentor and he is going to show me all the ropes or should I say lines this winter. Should be fun, I just need to break out the thermals and hope that I can take the cold! I am also trying to put more time into a business idea that I have been tossing around for the last two years and that I finally have a workable game plan for. It is a long term project and I believe it will take several years to reach fruition but it should allow me to make my own hours and work in my field of interest. We shall see how it all works out but at the very least we will all have less to clean and more time in which to do it.
Happy Holidays to everyone and Best Wishes for a Great New Year!
We will eventually be getting our Christmas cards in the mail and my goal is to have them beat Santa's arrival. It might be a close call...
*I will add more pictures to this Holliday slideshow as time allows.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)




No comments:
Post a Comment